Two nights ago the strange STEVE apparition began snaking it's though the northern skies. This is a relatively new phenomena. When it was first spotted back in 2016 it was called Steve, but that name has now been upgraded to STEVE or Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement.
A peer paper has just been published, Citizen scientists lead to the discovery of optical structure in the upper atmosphere,
Observations from the Swarm satellite as it crossed the arc have revealed an unusual level of electron temperature enhancement and density depletion, along with a strong westward ion flow, indicating that a pronounced subauroral ion drift (SAID) is associated with this structure. These early results suggest the arc is an optical manifestation of SAID, presenting new opportunities for investigation of the dynamic SAID signatures from the ground.
STEVE is similar to a aurora but more like an arc, although not a proton-arc, as protons are not responsible for the snake like mirage.
The Swarm satellites are three polar positioned satellites that record the geomagnetic field and climate.
This ESA animation shows Swarm satellites orbiting Earth above ground cameras observing STEVE
STEVE is a river of mauve and purple gasses in a sub-auroal ion drift (SAID). It can travel at supersonic speeds and the new type of celestial event is primarily seen around the equinox's.
If you live in northern latitudes, look up, and you might just see STEVE among the new apparitions of the night time sky.
Celeste has worked as a contractor for Homeland Security and FEMA. Her training and activation's include the infamous day of 911, flood and earthquake operations, mass casualty exercises, and numerous other operations. Celeste is FEMA certified and has completed the Professional Development Emergency Management Series.
- Integrated EM: Preparedness, Response, Recovery, Mitigation
- Emergency Plan Design including all Emergency Support Functions
- Principles of Emergency Management
- Developing Volunteer Resources
- Emergency Planning and Development
- Leadership and Influence, Decision Making in Crisis
- Exercise Design and Evaluation
- Public Assistance Applications
- Emergency Operations Interface
- Public Information Officer
- Flood Fight Operations
- Domestic Preparedness for Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Incident Command (ICS-NIMS)
- Multi-Hazards for Schools
- Rapid Evaluation of Structures-Earthquakes
- Weather Spotter for National Weather Service
- Logistics, Operations, Communications
- Community Emergency Response Team Leader
- Behavior Recognition
Celeste grew up in a military & governmental home with her father working for the Naval Warfare Center, and later as Assistant Director for Public Lands and Natural Resources, in both Washington State and California.
Celeste also has training and expertise in small agricultural lobbying, Integrative/Functional Medicine, asymmetrical and symmetrical warfare, and Organic Farming.