I really missed my Turmeric in my supplement holiday since May. I just began it again because my stomach is quieting down and in under 24 hours noticed an improvement. Even with all the benefits, do not overdose. It can thin you blood and other things. But this marvelous herb addresses 1500 different health conditions including cancer.
By Rachael Link, MS, RD
Turmeric has been used in cooking and natural health for centuries, solidifying its well-deserved status as a superfood ingredient. Not only has it been shown to support a healthy response to inflammation, recent research has unearthed several other potential benefits of turmeric capsules for the skin, mind and other areas of the body.
Best of all, because it’s now available in convenient capsule form — including our own Turmeric Capsules — adding turmeric to your daily routine has never been easier.
So what are the benefits of taking turmeric capsules, and how much should you take to get the most bang for your buck? Let’s take a closer look.
What Are Turmeric Capsules?
Turmeric capsules are exactly what they sound like: The spice turmeric in capsule form. This spice comes from the turmeric flowering plant.
Selecting high-quality turmeric curcumin capsules can maximize the potential health benefits of your supplement and ensure you get the most for your money. Ideally, look for a supplement that contains a high concentration of curcumin, which is the compound responsible for the health benefits of turmeric.
The best turmeric capsules should also contain piperine, which is a chemical found in black pepper that enhances curcumin absorption. While more studies need to be conducted, one animal study indicated that the administration of piperine may increase curcumin absorption by up to 2,000 percent.
It’s also recommended to opt for organic turmeric capsules whenever possible and look for curcumin capsules that have undergone fermentation, which may increase absorption even further.
Benefits of Turmeric Capsules
Some of the top turmeric capsules benefits include:
- Supporting healthy energy and combating fatigue
- Supporting joint health
- Encouraging a healthy response to stress
- Supporting mental clarity and concentration
Here are some more benefits of turmeric capsules.
1. Supporting a Healthy Response to Inflammation
Some studies show that curcumin, the main ingredient in turmeric, has the potential to help support a healthy response to inflammation, which can help to support overall health.
2. Support for Healthy Blood Sugar (already in the normal range)
Some research also shows turmeric capsules may support already healthy blood sugar levels.
3. Mental Clarity Support
In addition to their effects on physical well-being, some research has found that turmeric capsules could help support mental clarity as well. Turmeric can also help support healthy levels of DHA, which is an omega-3 fatty acid closely involved in supporting healthy brain function.
4. Joint Health Support
Studies show that curcumin can act to support joint health and and may play a central role in joint comfort.
5. Healthy Weight Management
While more studies need to be conducted, an animal model conducted at York University showed that curcumin was able to support healthy weight management in rats. It’s also been shown to help study participants manage their healthy weight in human studies.
6. Skin Health Support
In recent years, a multitude of turmeric benefits for skin have started to come to light. Because of its beneficial properties, research suggests that turmeric could help support healthy cells, healthy collagen deposition and support overall healthy skin. For these reasons, you can often find turmeric in skin serums and cosmetics, and many people often recommend turmeric capsules to support skin health.
How to Use
So how much turmeric should you take a day? Is turmeric safe to take daily, or should you limit your intake to just a few times per week instead?
Although the ideal turmeric dosage may vary based on many different factors, research typically suggests that you should get at least one gram of curcumin per day to promote better health. However, you should always read the label and follow the suggested use/directions on the label.
In addition to turmeric capsules — such as our Turmeric Capsules — there are several other options for getting in your daily dose. Turmeric powder, for example, can be used to make turmeric tea or added to dishes for a bit of extra flavor and color.
It’s also often added to skin care products to support skin right at the source.
Despite the many potential health benefits associated with turmeric, there can be side effects, especially when high doses are consumed or when it’s applied directly to the skin in concentrated amounts.
It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for how to use turmeric and consult with your healthcare professional prior to starting any dietary or dietary supplement program, including turmeric capsules.
- Turmeric is a spice that’s considered a superfood due to its many beneficial compounds, including curcumin. It’s available as turmeric capsules, powder and essential oil, in addition to the spice itself.
- Some of the top turmeric capsules benefits include supporting healthy energy and combating fatigue, supporting joint health, encouraging a healthy response to stress, and supporting mental clarity and concentration.
- Although the ideal turmeric dosage may vary based on many different factors, research typically suggests that you should get at least one gram of curcumin per day to promote better health. However, you should always read and follow label directions for suggested use. .
- Always talk to your health care provider before taking any new supplements.
Celeste has worked as a contractor for Homeland Security and FEMA. Her training and activations include the infamous day of 911, flood and earthquake operations, mass casualty exercises, and numerous other operations. Celeste is FEMA certified and has completed the Professional Development Emergency Management Series.
- Incident Command
- Integrated EM: Preparedness, Response, Recovery, Mitigation
- Emergency Plan Design including all Emergency Support Functions
- Principles of Emergency Management
- Developing Volunteer Resources
- Emergency Planning and Development
- Leadership and Influence, Decision Making in Crisis
- Exercise Design and Evaluation
- Public Assistance Applications
- Emergency Operations Interface
- Public Information Officer
- Flood Fight Operations
- Domestic Preparedness for Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Incident Command (ICS-NIMS)
- Multi-Hazards for Schools
- Rapid Evaluation of Structures-Earthquakes
- Weather Spotter for National Weather Service
- Logistics, Operations, Communications
- Community Emergency Response Team Leader
- Behavior Recognition
Celeste grew up in military & governmental home with her father working for the Naval Warfare Center, and later as Assistant Director for Public Lands and Natural Resources, in both Washington State and California.
Celeste also has training and expertise in small agricultural lobbying, Integrative/Functional Medicine, asymmetrical and symmetrical warfare, and Organic Farming..
My educational eBooks
Prep Resources for the Climate Chaos
Climate Revolution: The Grand Solar Minimum